Competitive Intelligence

Tactical, Operational & Strategic Analysis of Markets, Competitors & Industries

A diversion -- your favourite CI and strategy quotes

A diversion to start the work week -- what are your favourite CI/strategy quotes?

"Skate to where the puck's going, not where it's been."
Walter Gretzky (Wayne's father)

"Fools rush in..."
Alexander Pope

"Know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated."
Sun Tzu

...?

Views: 3408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting topic.. Some things which come at the top of my mind:

"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Holmes

"Singularity is almost invariably a clue" - Holmes again

well right now only Holmes keeps coming up.. !! Well more based on CI analysis rather than on CI / Strategy!

Have a great week ahead
I appreciate your examples about Holmes, Nimalan. Just like Alli has diverted us, I diverted my students seven years ago ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/forthenewuniverse/message/2688 ). ;-)
The excellent idea, Alli. In particular Sun Tzu is very inspirational. From part XIII. The Use of Spies of his work The Art of War ( http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html ), I'd like to recommend especially the advice: "Be subtle! be subtle! and use your spies for every kind of business." :-)
Good initiative! These are two that I've used a lot in introductory CI courses, since I think they indicate some key assumptions of the field:

“The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet.”
William Gibson

“”He who does not contemplate the future is destined to be overwhelmed by it”
H G Wells
Liam Fahey:

"Facts are like cows. When you try to look them in the eye...they walk away."
This, from Tom Stonier:
'Intelligence is . . . a property of any information-processing system which is able to analyse its environment, then, on the basis of that analysis, respond in a manner which enhances its chances of survival.'

From Colin Leicester:
'Knowing which information to obtain is halfway to solving a problem.'

From Albert Einstein:
'Genius is knowing where to look.'

From Matt Price:
'For hundreds of years, one of the central planks of a decent education was being taught how to find information. In barely a half-dozen years, the internet has made this skill all but obsolete. Suddenly, it's sorting information that's become crucial - learning to identify flecks of gold among the hectares of bullshit. Critical, sceptical, analytical thinking has never been more important.'

From Ben Gilad:
'Only human sources can provide commentary, opinion, feelings, intuition, emotions, and commitment.'

Finally (for the time being), from Ogden Nash:
'Shake and shake and shake the bottle
First none'll come and then a lot'll'
I like this topic. I have a few that I particularly like - some are admittedly tongue in cheek:

"Intelligence analysts define reality for decision makers who's actions could alter it." My modification of a version originally penned by John Perry Barlow

We have enough youth. When will someone finally discover the fountain of smart? - Anonymous

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

"No amount of advance planning will ever replace dumb luck." - Anonymous

"Competitive intelligence beats uncompetitive stupidity, every time." - I just made that one up.
I'm fond of the deep wisdom found in two particular Russian proverbs:

"As the tree grows, so grows the ax handle." A great strategic insight.

"Don't blame the mirror if you have an ugly face." Something to keep in mind in receiving (and giving) "bad" news.
You are absolutely right, Woz ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=m_-RIGK3VZU ). ;-)

Incidentally, who of you do not get the message "This video is currently not available in your country" wishing to watch the video Plainsunset talk about their video 'Johari Window' ( http://www.mtvasia.com/Music/FeaturedArtist/Plainsunset/video.html )?

Best,
Tad
You've hit the bull's-eye, Woz. I mentioned another Churchill's thought last year on Debate Europe English forum ( http://forums.ec.europa.eu/debateeurope/viewtopic.php?t=1176&st... ). Do exchange "a politician" for "a CI professional" and you will get a quite real CI quote "A CI professional needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen." ;-)

Best,
Tad
This is not CI related, but if people are going to quote the brilliant Winston Churchill I feel like I need to bring out my favorite quote from the most wise sage of our era, Yogi Berra:

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."

(A quick look on Wikipedia suggests there are multiple attributions for this quote. Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut and Chuck Reid are also credited.)
I did not know about this quote. This is actually a great one. Wilde was the sage of his era.

RSS

Free Intel Collab Webinars

You might be interested in the next few IntelCollab webinars:

RECONVERGE Network Calendar of Events

© 2024   Created by Arik Johnson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service